lunes, 19 de mayo de 2014

Second Letter

When Mr. Lovelace returned into the country, he thought fit to visit my father and mother; hoping to be allowed to keep up an acquaintance and friendship with a family which he should always respect. And then unhappily, as I may say, was I at home and present.
It was immediately observed, that his attention was fixed on me.
My aunt Hervey was there; and was pleased to say, we should make the finest couple in England.
My mother declared, that her only dislike of his alliance with either daughter, was on account of his reputed faulty morals.
My father indeed, after a long silence, said that he had a letter from his son, on his hearing of Mr. Lovelace's visits to his daughter Arabella; which he had not showed to any body but my mother; that in this letter he expressed great dislike to an alliance with Mr. Lovelace on the score of his immoralities: that he knew, indeed, there was an old feeling of resentment between them; but that, being desirous to prevent all occasions of disunion and animosity in his family, he would suspend the declaration of his own mind till his son arrived, and till he had heard his further objections. He added that he had heard that he was a very extravagant man; that he had contracted debts in his travels.

I immediately answered, that I did not like him at all: he seemed to have too good an opinion both on his person and parts, to have any regard to his wife, let him marry whom he would.
My sister particularly was pleased with this answer, and confirmed it to be just; with a compliment to my judgment.—For it was hers.
But the very next day Lord M. came to Harlowe-Place [I was then absent]; and in his nephew's name made a proposal in form; declaring, that it was the ambition of all his family to be related to ours: and he hoped his relative would not have such an answer on the part of the younger sister, as he had on that of the elder.
In short, Mr. Lovelace's visits were admitted as those of a man who had not deserved disrespect from our family. My discretion as to the rest was confided in: for still I had the same objections as to the man: nor would I, when we were better acquainted, hear any thing but general talk from him; giving him no opportunity of conversing with me in private.
You have seen some of these letters; and have been pleased with this account of persons, places, and things; and we have both agreed, that he was no common observer upon what he had seen.
My sister allowed that the man had a tolerable ability of writing and describing: And my father, who had been abroad in his youth, said, that his remarks were curious, and showed him to be a person of reading, judgment and taste.
Thus was a kind of correspondence begun between him and me, with general approbation; while every one wondered at, and was pleased with, his patient veneration of me; for so they called it. However, it was not doubted but he would soon be more importunate, since his visits were more frequent, and he acknowledged to my aunt Hervey a passion for me, accompanied with an awe that he had never known before.
You can't imagine how insolent the man looked; as if, in short, he was disappointed that he had not made a more sensible impression upon me: nor, when he recollected himself (as he did immediately), what a visible struggle it cost him to change his arrogant airs for more placid ones. But I took no notice of either; for I thought it best to convince him, by the coolness and indifference with which I repulsed his forward hopes (at the same time intending to avoid the affectation of pride or vanity) that he was not considerable enough in my eyes to make me take over-ready offence at what he said.
I must break off here, but will continue the subject the very first opportunity. Mean time, I am
Your most affectionate friend and servant, CL. HARLOWE.
samuel richardson
Samuel Richardson
(Adapted from the original English novel)

The book: Recently Clarissa was published by Penguin in 1986. The book had 1,534 pages with an estimate number of words of about 984,870 and a page size of 23.4 cm x 14.7.   
The author: Samuel Richardson was an 18th-century English writer and printer. He is best known for his three epistolary novels: Pamela: Or, Virtue Rewarded (1740), Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady (1748) and The History of Sir Charles Grandison (1753). Richardson was a skilled letter writer and his talent traces back to his childhood. Throughout his whole life, he would constantly write to his various associates.  Richardson had a "faith" in the act of letter writing, and believed that letters could be used to accurately portray character traits.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Deja aquí tus mensajes, comentarios o críticas. Serán bienvenidos