domingo, 21 de julio de 2013

Anne of Green Gables, Discussing

Marilla came briskly forward as Matthew opened the door. But when her eyes fell of the odd little figure in the stiff, ugly dress, with the long braids of red hair and the eager, luminous eyes, she stopped short in amazement.
"Matthew Cuthbert, who's that?" she ejaculated. "Where is the boy?"
"There wasn't any boy," said Matthew miserably. "There was only HER."
He nodded at the child, remembering that he had never even asked her name.
"No boy! But there MUST have been a boy," insisted Marilla. "We sent word to Mrs. Spencer to bring a boy."
"Well, she didn't. She brought HER. I asked the station-master. And I had to bring her home. She couldn't be left there, no matter where the mistake had come in."
"Well, this is a pretty piece of business!" ejaculated Marilla.
During this dialogue the child had remained silent, her eyes moving from one to the other, all the animation fading out of her face. Suddenly she seemed to grasp the full meaning of what had been said. Dropping her precious carpet-bag she sprang forward a step and clasped her hands.
"You don't want me!" she cried. "You don't want me because I'm not a boy! I might have expected it. Nobody ever did want me. I might have known it was all too beautiful to last. I might have known nobody really did want me. Oh, what shall I do? I'm going to burst into tears!"

Burst into tears she did. Sitting down on a chair by the table, throwing her arms out upon it, and burying her face in them, she proceeded to cry stormily. Marilla and Matthew looked at each other disapprovingly across the stove. Neither of them knew what to say or do. Finally Marilla stepped lamely into the breach…
 Marilla went slowly down to the kitchen and proceeded to wash the supper dishes. Matthew was smoking—a sure sign of perturbation of mind. He seldom smoked, for Marilla set her face against it as a filthy habit; but at certain times and seasons he felt driven to it and them Marilla understood the practice, realizing that a mere man must have some vent for his emotions.
"Well, this is a pretty kettle of fish," she said wrathfully. "This is what comes of sending word instead of going ourselves. Richard Spencer's folks have twisted that message somehow. One of us will have to drive over and see Mrs. Spencer tomorrow, that's certain. This girl will have to be sent back to the asylum."
snapshot of Anne of Green Gables, from Sullivan Ent.
Anne and Matthew, Sullivan Entertainment
"Yes, I suppose so," said Matthew reluctantly.
"You SUPPOSE so! Don't you know it?"
"Well now, she's a real nice little thing, Marilla. It's kind of a pity to send her back when she's so set on staying here."
"Matthew Cuthbert, you don't mean to say you think we ought to keep her!"
Marilla's astonishment could not have been greater if Matthew had expressed a predilection for standing on his head.
"Well, now, no, I suppose not—not exactly," stammered Matthew, uncomfortably driven into a corner for his precise meaning. "I suppose—we could hardly be expected to keep her."
"I should say not. What good would she be to us?"
"We might be some good to her," said Matthew suddenly and unexpectedly.
"Matthew Cuthbert, I believe that child has bewitched you! I can see as plain as plain that you want to keep her."
"Well now, she's a real interesting little thing," persisted Matthew. "You should have heard her talk coming from the station."
"Oh, she can talk fast enough. I saw that at once. It's nothing in her favour, either. I don't like children who have so much to say. I don't want an orphan girl and if I did she isn't the style I'd pick out. There's something I don't understand about her. No, she's got to be sent straight-way back to where she came from."
"I could hire a French boy to help me," said Matthew, "and she'd be company for you."
"I'm not suffering for company," said Marilla shortly. "And I'm not going to keep her."
"Well now, it's just as you say, of course, Marilla," said Matthew rising and putting his pipe away. "I'm going to bed."
To bed went Matthew. And to bed, when she had put her dishes away, went Marilla, disapproving most resolutely. And up-stairs, in the east gable, a lonely, heart-hungry, friendless child cried herself to sleep. (inglés más fácil)

La autora
Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874 –1942), fue una autora canadiense conocida por la serie de novelas que comenzaron con Anne of Green Gables publicada en 1908. Esta novela fue un éxito inmediato. El personaje principal, Anne, una muchacha huérfana, hizo famosa a la autora y fue seguida por todo el mundo. La primera novela fue continuada por una serie de secuelas con Anne como la protagonista.

El próximo post

Fuentes
The Project Gutenberg, Anne of Green Gables http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45/45-h/45-h.htm

Karbyn. Anne of Green Gables Study Guide. Chapter 2. Flowers, Trees & Other Plants (fotos de flores y plantas en Anne of Green Gables) http://www.squidoo.com/anne-plants-chapter-2

Si te gustó esto y quisieras leer un poco más mandános tus comentarios


Estamos en Gral Güemes 561. Teléfonos 4249159-155723965. 4400 Salta, Argentina


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Deja aquí tus mensajes, comentarios o críticas. Serán bienvenidos